Thursday, 30 August 2012

Weekly Update

Over the last week I've made a lot of progress on the design and development of the proof-of-concept prototype.

Focusing on Facebook, I have discovered that the friends page location (relative to a users Facebook URL) is dependent on whether they have upgraded to the timeline view or not. Given that Facebook is currently in the process of moving all users to timeline, I have chosen to focus my tool on that setup, as the wall setup will soon be obsolete.

I have also made some decisions regarding the data storage for the tool. As this is only a prototype model, I do not intend to persist the raw data retrieved from the social networks. The analysed data however will be persisted, most probably through writing a file to disk. Further development of the tool would probably benefit from supporting database data storage, especially if the tool becomes more complex.

Finally, I have identified several useful libraries that will greatly simplify development of the prototype. These libraries will help me save time in development and hopefully allow me to include some additional features in the prototype.

Unfortunately my supervisor was unable to meet with me today. I look forward to showing him the progress I've made and receiving some feedback about my design next week.

Over the next week I would very much like to get most of the core functionality developed for my prototype, so that I might be able to include some additional features.

No comments:

Post a Comment